Here’s my breakfast this morning – an orange walnut muffin with brown sugar topping and a cup of coffee. Yum!
I found the recipe for these muffins here. In Florida, they have delicious orange muffins that I absolutely love! I’ve never found them anywhere else, and the other day I was craving them. So I found this recipe and gave it a try. It is nowhere near as good as the ones I’ve eaten in Florida, but this recipe is a good start to help me find that perfect orange muffin recipe.
I thought these muffins turned out a little dry, and next time I’ll add 1/4 cup of oil. I ground the walnuts up to be very fine because I don’t really like walnuts, but they do add a good flavor to these muffins. The recipe calls for melted butter, and I’ve learned through trial and error that you need to let the butter cool to the touch before adding sugar (or else the sugar melts right into the butter and you won’t get the crumbles you’re looking for).
Here’s the recipe w/o any mods. Enjoy!
Orange Muffins from Allrecipes.com
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, white sugar and grated orange peel. Stir in orange juice, 1/2 cup melted butter, eggs and chopped nuts.
- Pour into 12 muffin cups.
- Blend 1 tablespoon melted margarine, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each muffin. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 20-25 minutes.