My husband and I love bananas, but we don’t always get around to eating the entire bunch before they get overly ripe. After making about a dozen loafs of banana bread, I decided I needed to find another use for our ripe bananas.
As a lover of anything with chocolate, I did a google search for “banana chocolate chip” and I found this recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Muffins on Little Miss Moma (she has great pics for each step of the directions). I have made these muffins a handful of times and each time they have come out great! This last time I sprinkled some Sugar in the Raw on top of each muffin before baking and it added a great touch.
Here is the recipe from Little Miss Moma with only two mods (I use a full cup of chocolate chips and 1 cup finely ground walnuts). Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 or 3 RIPE bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat the SOFTENED butter and white sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, mashed bananas, and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking soda, brown sugar, and salt and mix until blended. Add chocolate chips and walnuts and stir until well mixed.
- Line muffin pan with paper muffins cups, and spoon batter into cups until each is about 3/4 full (if you want, sprinkle each muffin with Sugar in the Raw or another large sugar crystal before baking).
- Bake at for 20-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.