Here in Minnesota, we are experiencing a bit of heat weave. The high today was 91 degrees, which is unusual for May. I had no desire to turn on the oven tonight, so for an appetizer I served up some homemade salsa using a recipe I found via Pinterest on Mountain Mama Cooks.
The recipe was super easy and came out great. The salsa had a little kick to it, which I love! The only mod I made was I used the entire small onion. You can view the original recipe here.
Here’s the recipe with my mods:
- 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1- 14 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/2-1 jalapeno, seeded or not (depends on how spicy you like it)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- medium size handful of cilantro, washed
- juice of 1 lime or 1/4 cup lime juice from a bottle
Put all the ingredients in the base of a food processor or good blender and pulse to combine for 30 seconds or so until all the ingredients are finely chopped and salsa is desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste.